Monday, June 1, 2009

Mozy Online Backup

It's the nightmare of any graduate student...your computer crashes and you lose a year's worth of work and data.

So, I not only back up my laptop on an external hard drive we have at home (lovingly configured by my husband), but have also been using an online service called Mozy for the past year to double-back-up my data. We had been paying the minimal fee for "unlimited" space, but now that our year's subscription has ended, I'm switching to the free version, which still provides a sizable 2 GB of storage. This isn't really enough memory for me to back up all my pictures and music, but that's what the external hard drive is for. I use Mozy online for backing up things that I update on a daily basis and really don't want to risk losing, like my research and teaching stuff.

Anyways, I've not had any crashes or problems to truly test out the system, but I'd recommend it based on its ease of backup (it does it automatically, so you don't have to remember!). If you're interested...check it out! If you do sign up, please use my reference code so I can get more free space: DYHWBB

No comments: