Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Top Ten Tuesday

I'd be lying if I didn't openly admit that I am now "one of those people." Yes, I think it's fair to say that I'm a "crack"berry addict. I love, LOVE having access to my email, the internet, maps, and oh-so-many other fun things just about anywhere I am thanks to my Blackberry Pearl.


Today, I'm going to list my top ten favorite applications, most of which (to be fair) were at some point suggested to me by my tech-savvy husband who has the same phone as I do (but in black, of course). Even if you don't have a Blackberry, I would guess much of this information still applies to other smartphones.

1. Opera Mini - A web browser that I think works better than the default, making web pages appear pretty darn close to "normal" on the Blackberry.

2. G-Mail- I use gmail for everything, so having quick and easy access on my phone (with great features that allows me to search, archive, delete, etc.) was a must!

3. Pandora - If you're not already addicted to this free music service, having it easily accessible on your Blackberry is sure to put you over the edge. ;)

4. Google Maps - A definite Google gem, this mapping program gives you a fairly accurate (usually within a couple thousand feet) idea of your current position, and you can even share your location with friends via the "Latitude" option.

5. You Version - Really cool app that gives you searchable access to ~15 translations of the Bible. I like being able to easily/quickly read a verse in several translations right in the middle of Bible study/church (though I don't think people always realize that's what I'm doing...hehe).

6. Google Sync - Yet another application in the Google suite of mobile products...I love it because it allows me to sync with the online version of Google Calendar (which we use daily to keep our work and social lives quasi organized). How fabulous is it that I can access and modify the calendar right from my b'berry, and my husband can then see the changes on his phone (once it's synced) or computer?!

7. TwitterBerry - There are a number of twitter apps, and this is the one I like. I briefly tried Twibble, but felt like TB had a nicer interface, so I stuck with it.

8. Yahoo Messenger - Pretty self explanatory, and while I really don't use this all that often, it's nice to have on occasion.

9. Google Reader - Okay, can you tell I REALLY like the Google mobile apps? This one allows you to subscribe to websites so that you can see the latest updates in one place. I use this to keep track of my friends' blogs :)

10. Mvelopes - This last app is the only one on the list that isn't free, but I still thought it was worth mentioning. We use the mvelopes online system to keep track of our spending and finances. Since it has a mobile version, too, I can log in on my phone and see how much money we have left that month in any category (groceries or clothing, for example) when I'm out shopping.

No comments: